Hi! It's been a couple of days since I last posted. I have a 3-year old who didn't nap for four days straight, so that made for a couple of really long days. He did take a little nap today, which was nice. I want to give an update about something new that I started with the boys. I don't know what to call it except "structure".
Rewind to a few weeks ago: Mic climbing the walls, pulling cushions off of the couch, asking for food all morning, crying, screaming, tantrums over everything. Caleb would walk around sucking his fingers and following me everywhere. This was All. Day. Long. It was pretty miserable for all of us. They weren't playing with their abundance of toys or entertaining themselves. After talking to a friend and reading a book that she gave me, I decided to try to add a little structure to our days out of desperation. Here is what it looks like:
Sometime between 6:00-8:00 a.m.~boys wake up, eat, get dressed, play (me too!)
8:00 a.m.~30 minute video or t.v. show
8:30 a.m.~music (dancing, singing, marching, musical instruments)
9:00 a.m.~snack, clean up, brush teeth
9:30 a.m.~Bible time
10:00 a.m.~Craft time (crafts, play-doh, coloring or something like that)
10:30 a.m.~Free play time (This is my chance to catch up on housework)
11:15 a.m.~Learning time (workbooks or play with educational toy)
11:30 a.m.~Lunch
So, there it is...and it has changed our little family. Micaiah has a lot LESS tantrums and is generally happier. He loves learning and bible time. Caleb isn't sucking his fingers nearly as much and is enjoying the play time. They just seemed to need a little direction in playing through the day. This isn't a mandatory thing, where the boys have to participate in what we're doing. If we're reading bible stories and Mic takes off riding on his bike through the house, great! They come and go from the activities as they please, but they do seem to enjoy it. They have been entertaining themselves better now, believe it or not.
Oops, one more thing to say...on Wednesdays, we have playgroup or my mom's group all morning and on Fridays, I have an outing or playdate planned to add some variety to our days. Also, if the weather is nice, we will be outside for 30-45 minutes in the morning.
I have learned that what works for me may not work for everyone. I mean, no one has the same family as me and no one has the same personality as me. This would drive some people crazy, but it actually is helping me to feel more sane. I am going to use my organized, structured, analyzing, list-making self to my advantage this time. :)
Happy Monday to all!
Vice (2015)
11 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment