Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Letting Go-Part 2

It seems there are many parts this 'Letting Go' theme. That's strange for someone who is usually so calm, carefree and spontaneous.

You can laugh if you want to.

I posted many months ago that we started a more structured morning to counteract winter boredom. That lasted for a few weeks but it was very draining for me. I had to plan and prepare when the kids went to bed, when all I wanted to do was relax. After a few weeks, I realized that it was not working for me anymore. It was taking too much of my precious downtime, so we stopped. No problems there, we were moving soon and the weather was getting nice.

Part of me letting go means that the boys lead the way as to what we do each day. It is freeing really and I find that they are not nearly as bored as I thought they were. They play in their room and read books and we play together. We take walks and go outside to play. I just let them go and follow their lead. If they ask to go outside, we'll go. If they want to color, I get the crayons out. If they want to push the stroller around with their bears in it, so be it. I do not plan anything and I do not play with them constantly. They are expected to entertain themselves some and they are better for it. We also have not been doing any sit-down teaching here, so it is amazing to see how much they have learned by playing.

I do keep our vehicle two days a week so that we can get out of the house. We run errands and go to the park on Tuesday and go to the library on Thursday. That definitely breaks up the week.

You see, I do not play well. We have never liked for the boys to take the cushions off of the couch or for them to take the blankets off of their beds. It made a mess and made more work for us. Yet if I just let them go they'll find a way to entertain themselves. If I keep my eyes open and my mouth closed, they have fun and find a way to stay busy. And then I can be calm, carefree and spontaneous.

Today when Mic pulled the blanket out of Caleb's crib, I stayed quiet. He spread the blanket out and noted that it looked like a picnic and a party. Then we got out some old party hats and had a birthday party for Mickey Mouse, with party blowouts and all. We sang and put hats on his bears and had so much fun. Because I took my own seriousness out of the equation. It's funny how that works out.

Here, have a look:




1 comments:

Tim and Sarah said...

Great job letting go Dea! Sometimes we feel tired just watching them drag the pillows of the couch for a fort or making blankets into a mountain. It helped when I read that experimentation helps build connections in their brains making them smarter by association and memory skills. So next time you're picking up after them remind yourself they've added a few new brain cells. LOL

Our problem here is a girl who loves to pile collections all over the house. Her entire sock drawer was hidden behind the couch, Mr. Potato head parts logically belong under Mom and Dad's bed...etc. Hard to keep up with them. But hey our lives are never boring right?