Friday, August 1, 2008

Choices, Choices

It seems that I have a choice to make. Should I keep letting Micaiah takes naps...or not?

With a Nap:
Wake up: 6:00 a.m.
Naptime: 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Bedtime: 8:30 p.m. (it takes him 15 or more minutes to fall asleep)

Without a Nap:
Wake up: 6:45 a.m.
Naptime: None
Bedtime: 7:30 p.m.

It seems clear to me. I don't really want to lose the naptime, but Caleb is suffering when Mic takes a nap. If Micaiah gets a nap and follows the "With a Nap" schedule, than Caleb only sleeps from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. since Micaiah always manages to wake Caleb up in the morning. Caleb needs more sleep than Micaiah and last night, he slept from 8 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. (11.5 hours...one of my children? Wow.) Caleb is still taking a 2 or 2.5 hour nap, too.

Micaiah willingly takes naps still, yet yesterday I decided that he could stay awake, to see if his nighttime sleeping got better. He laid on the couch some, rode his bike around the living room, colored, cut paper and we looked out the window, watching it rain. His eyes closed the second he put his head on the pillow at 7:30 p.m. last night.

I guess it's time to say goodbye to my longtime friend, Mr. Nap. I will miss you but look forward to getting to know my new friends, Mr. Early Bedtime and Mrs. Sleep-In better.

1 comments:

MICHELLE said...

I love early bedtimes and sleeping in later! Sounds like a good choice. Samuel has always been an early riser. He used to get up during the 5:00 hour but we've managed to keep him in bed til 6:00 now. No matter what I've done with his sleep schedule, he's always up at 6:00. Ughh...

Hope this schedule works out for all of you!