When we woke up this morning, we were greeted with a "wintry mix" outside. I took Micaiah to preschool anyway and was relieved to find the windy, downhill only road to his school was totally salted. I wondered why, since it is only a side road. Lucky for me, his preschool is on the same road as some county school offices and a middle school. Phew!
You see, my feelings about driving in snow or ice are kind of like a wintry mix...I'm a mix of nervous, terrified, anxious, worried. You get the picture, right? During my senior year at Elim, I was driving back to Elim after winter break when I hit some bad weather. My car ended up sliding sideways and smashed into another car, which had a woman and two small children inside. Thankfully, they were all fine. I, however, with all of my fear and dramatics, proceeded to scream hysterically until the ambulance arrived. The other driver must have thought that my legs were cut off or something, which they were not. I went to the hospital and had to wait several hours for Keith and my mom to get to me, since I was about 2.5 hours from home. Keith and I had just gotten engaged over winter break and I didn't want to go back to school anyway. I got to stay home another week and then went back to finish school, since I only had one semester left. Look at me, planning a car accident just so I could spend another week with my new fiance. What love and devotion! (I'm joking.)
Even though this car accident was 7 years ago, I am still fearful when it comes to driving in winter weather. Ask Keith how fun it is to drive with me as a passenger in the winter. One Christmas Eve, he made me sing a song so that I would stop gasping, pumping the imaginary brake and moaning.
So now that Mic is at preschool, I am left to worry: does this mean that I have to go back out and get Micaiah?! Oh brother.
Thankfully, this is only the second round of snow that we have gotten. Living here is much milder than where we moved from.
Vice (2015)
11 years ago
1 comments:
you are SO not alone. we were bumper to bumper in Annapolis traffic - I was pregnant with Lila - and we were rear-ended. I still have issues with driving/riding in traffic. Snow and ice just make it worse.
you can do it!
Post a Comment