Monday, February 9, 2009

do something new

I am one part woman and one part bear. During the winter, I hibernate. Give me a blanket, three shirts and one cup of hot chocolate and I am happy.

Go outside? No thanks.

Take the kids to play in the snow? Are you crazy?

During a conversation with a friend last week, she told me that the cold is only bad when you fail to bundle up properly. She reminded me of what I already knew: winter is hard for people who need to be outside (like me) and if you are not active, it is very easy to feel depressed and lazy.

I have a need to be outside. Fresh air, sunshine and all those wonderful things that are hard to come by in winter are necessities for my well being.

This morning, with the sun shining bright and no plans on the agenda, I asked the boys if they wanted to play outside. It was a balmy 30 degrees outside. Micaiah was delirious with joy that Mommy was going to take them outside. We bundled up really well and went up to the playground.

We made snowballs, we ran and the boys just generally enjoyed being outside. It was not even that cold to me and the wind was still.

Imagine my shock when we got home and I realized that we had been outside for over an hour! Thanks to our generous family members who hooked us up with snow gear for Christmas. It really came in handy today!

Maybe we could try to do this at least once a week. Do you think I can handle it?

1 comments:

MICHELLE said...

Sounds like you are all feeling better!!! Yay!

I'm with ya on the cold thing! Snow? No thanks! Play outside? No way!!!

Good for you for getting out there and playing with your boys! It is so good for them and for us too. Maybe it's a good reason to have a guilt free hot chocolate when you come in from the cold!

Keep it up!