Wednesday, August 26, 2009

a farmer

Micaiah has become very interested in growing things, especially food.

Several weeks ago, we were in our backyard and Micaiah announced that he was going to plant some apple seeds from the apple that he had just eaten. He dug some dirt, planted the seeds and then checked two minutes later to see if apples had grown. No such luck.

Unbeknownst to me, he then planted some (cooked!) green bean seeds from dinner. Keith forgot to tell me about it, so I was a little confused when Micaiah pointed to a patch of our backyard and said that it was his 'field'. I could not keep from laughing as he explained what he had done while I was at work.

He has planted several other things, none of which grew, needless to say.

This week, we were outside playing when Micaiah asked, "Mom, where is my field?" A pout formed on his lip and tears sprang to his eyes as he said, "Mom, I have been planting so many things in my field and nothing is growing. There is no food and I was going to sell it to people who needed it." With that, he collapsed onto my lap in a heap of tears.

Whoa.

I guess I'd better learn something about growing food really quick so that we can plant a vegetable garden.

0 comments: