Hi. It's taken me a long time to figure this out, so bear with me. I'm me. And I'm happy with that.
I have spent the last four years devoting nearly every second to my two children. These boys are important to me and I adore them. I have done my very best to give them my love, my attention and to spend time with them showing them just how special they are.
In the process I have left someone important out of the equation. (I am not talking about my husband. That's material for another post.) I have ignored me. Pushing myself past the limits of exhaustion became normal. Not taking a break from the boys is standard. You can only do that for so long.
I love when Micaiah goes to preschool...for a million reasons. I get to spend time with Caleb. Oh the luxury of only taking one child to the store! It's a break for me. I know that he is being well cared for, learning new things and doing very fun activities. And I do not have to orchestrate it. For the first time, I'm a bystander. That's okay with me.
Our worship leader at church asked me to join the worship team to relieve the current piano player every few weeks. This is not something I would have done a year ago. But I wanted to and my husband is on board with it. Every Thursday night my husband is now responsible for the boys from 5:30 until he puts them to bed by himself. They eat a healthy snack, they brush their teeth, they get quality time with daddy and last night they were in bed at 7:45 p.m. Imagine that. I was not even here to oversee or take over, however you look at it. *wink*
After worship practice last night, I went to Starbucks with some ladies from the local chapter of the Moms Club. We sat and drank coffee and talked about our kids, of course, for several hours. I just joined the Moms Club so most of these ladies were strangers to me. It was fun getting to know them. Their children are all young just like mine and most of them are stay-at-home moms. And they live in my community.
When I got home, all 3 of my guys were in bed.
I'm me. And I'm happy with that.
Vice (2015)
11 years ago
5 comments:
Good for you!!! As my mom tells me if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. I'm so proud of you!!! :) :)
your post made me cry - because I'm so happy that you got to spend some time for you:) and with some other moms who really understand how precious that time is! you're awesome!
Yay! I'm glad you got some "me-time". It really is so important - I find I"m a much better mom and wife when I get some. It's just hard sometimes, isn't it?
"the other Deanna!" Hey!! It is so good to see you too. I have often wondered how you are doing...I'm glad to see you are obviously doing well...with very adorable sons! :) Hope we'll get a chance to catch up more one of these days...if you get a chance, let me know how to contact you! In the meantime, I'll be reading....:)
Good for you Deanna!!! It's amazing what a little time away will do to refresh us mothers!!! Plus I am so excited that you will be on worship team. It will be wonderful to worship and be in God's presence without interruptions!!!
Post a Comment