Wednesday, May 13, 2009

the great unknown

With warm weather comes the inevitable melody of the ice cream truck making its rounds.

The first time it came around the other night, Micaiah looked out the window.

Micaiah: Oh look, Mom. That truck is making music.
Caleb: The truck makes nice music.

And it occurred to me that they have no idea what is actually on the truck. I know it won't last, but it makes us laugh anyway. When the truck came around tonight, Micaiah said, "Oh mom, there's that music-playing truck again." Keith and I just looked at each other and laughed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very weird thing happened to me yesterday in the parking lot of Target. I was driving with the boys and...a man whistled at me from his Hummer.

Wait, wait. Let's back up. A man whistled at me?!

My first reaction was to laugh. You see, I am in full-on mom mode 100% of the time. In public, my mind is on high alert. I am making sure two little boys are safe and behaving, all the while trying to get my errands done. The boys are talking, laughing, whining, touching...they're busy. Meanwhile, I look harried and tired, wearing fashions from way too many years ago.

That's why I had to laugh when someone whistled at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The other day I was at Walmart with just Caleb. For some unknown reason, I let him out of the cart. He was going from rack to rack.

"Ook, Mom. This is my fav-it."

"Firty dollars, Mom. Only firty dollars."


1 comments:

Justin said...

Funny stories... Rebecca used to do the weeding and such in the front yard... Well, too many guys beeped their horns at her... Funny no one beeps their horn at me now that I am the one weeding the front boxes!!!!